Pseudagrion (A) serrulatum Karsch, 1894
- scientific: P. superbum Fraser, 1956; P. quadrioculatum Pinhey, 1964
Type locality: Yaounde, Cameroon
Male is similar to P. coeruleipunctum by (a) mostly species of forested or shaded habitats; (b) seldom pruinose, at most (partly) on thorax and Abd base; (c) thorax extensively black, usually with distinct (sometimes pruinose) antehumeral stripes; (d) antehumeral stripe usually narrower and entire, rarely as described above or absent; (e) legs usually at least broadly marked with black. Tarsal claws with small hook or notch beside main hook; (f) cerci branched, with clear gap between branches; (g) inner border of cerci without basal tooth or toothed flange (dorsal view); (h) paraprocts pointed and up-turned. However, differs by (1) ranging from C and N DRC to W Africa; (2) labrum orange, rather than black, with narrow black border; (3) paraprocts of normal proportions, at most half as long as cerci; upper branch of cerci shorter than lower (lateral view). [Adapted from Dijkstra & Clausnitzer 2014; this diagnosis not yet verified by author]
Mostly rivers, but also streams, in open areas in forest, but sometimes shaded. Often with emergent vegetation, a sandy bottom and/or probably submerged roots. From 0 to 1400 m above sea level, but mostly below 800, although possibly even higher up.
Appendages (dorsal view)
Appendages (lateral view)
Map citation: Clausnitzer, V., K.-D.B. Dijkstra, R. Koch, J.-P. Boudot, W.R.T. Darwall, J. Kipping, B. Samraoui, M.J. Samways, J.P. Simaika & F. Suhling, 2012. Focus on African Freshwaters: hotspots of dragonfly diversity and conservation concern. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10: 129-134.
- Karsch, F. (1894). Libellen von der Deutschen Forschungs-Station Yáunde im Hinterlande von Kamerun, gesammelt von Herrn G. Zenker. Berliner Entomologische Zeitschrift, 39, 11-16. [PDF file]
- Ris, F., and Schmidt, E. (1936). Die Pseudagrion-Arten des kontinentalen Afrika. (Insecta, Odonata). [posthumous, Schmidt based on Ris' notes - sp authorship Schmidt] Abhandlungen Senckenbergischen Naturforschenden Gesellschaft, 433, 1-68. [PDF file]
- Fraser, F.C. (1956). Pseudagrion superbum, Gynacantha flavipes and Gynacantha immaculifrons, three new species of Odonata from the Belgian Congo. Revue Zoologie Botanique Africaines, 54, 382-387. [PDF file]
- D' Andrea, M., and Carfi, S. (1997). Nuove raccolte di odonati del Camerun con note su Agriocnemis maclachlani Selys, 1877 edescrizione di Agriocnemis dissimilis sp. nov. e Trithemis osvaldae sp. nov. Atti Societa italiana Scienze naturali, 136, 157-190. [PDF file]
Citation: Dijkstra, K.-D.B (editor). African Dragonflies and Damselflies Online. http://addo.adu.org.za/ [2021-04-19].